Wikipedia commons - Durian-Sintel wallpaper
The British Fantasy Society (BFS) began in 1971, as an offshoot of the British Science Fiction Association (BSFA). The society is dedicated to promoting the best in the fantasy, science fiction and horror genres.
1st prize: £100, a year’s membership of the BFS, and publication in the BFS Journal.
2nd prize:£50, a year’s membership of the BFS, and publication in the BFS Journal.
3rd prize: £20, and publication in the BFS Journal.
Closing date 30 June 2015
See the website for full details,
but here is an extract:
- Stories must be written in English.
- Any kind of fantastical story is welcome. For example: fantasy, science fiction, horror, supernatural, fabulation, magic realism, slipstream, etc, or indeed any combination of those genres.
- The competition is open to members and non-members of the society, but non-members must pay a £5 entry fee.
- Stories must not exceed 5,000 words.
- Stories must be your own original work. We are not looking for translations, Shared World, use of copyrighted characters or similar. Also, we are not looking for children’s stories or “Young Adult” fiction.
- Stories must be previously unpublished in any form. This means they must not have been published in books, magazines, newspapers, on websites, phone apps, or have been broadcast on TV, radio, podcasts, etc.
- Stories must not be under consideration elsewhere.
- Double-spaced text
- Left and right hand margins of at least 2cm
- 12pt font
- First line of paragraphs indented
- Pages numbered.
- Section breaks should be indicated by a single hash mark (#) or asterisk (*)
- Please put title and author name in the header for each page.
- Please include a word count.
- Stories should be saved in “Rich Text Format” or an older version of “MS Word”. Preferably not “Doc.x”.