Search This Blog

Tuesday 21 January 2014

Tarzan comic-02-1962

This is the final blog on my aborted Tarzan comic from 1962… The earlier blog can be found here

I copied the cover from a thumbnail black and white cover for the British reprint comics.

For the interior, I still had too many panels filled with talking heads!

Still, I particularly enjoyed drawing the procession of Queen Nemone into the amphitheatre. 
 
The fight with Phobeg was almost four comic pages – wasteful by modern standards. When I could, I used photographic reference; it’s a long time ago, but I recall at least one of the three images of Tarzan was based on a photo of Jock Mahoney.

I curtailed illustrating The City of Gold on the appearance of M’Duze, the witch, who interrupted a potentially passionate clinch between Tarzan and Nemone! Studying for exams had to take precedence... or maybe I was busy writing my first novel...?

2 comments:

PT Dilloway said...

That's a lot better than the comics I used to draw when I was a kid.

Nik Morton said...

Thanks, Pat! In later years, I settled on drawing cartoons and then found it easier to paint pictures with words!